Tokio Hotel VIP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We have new music.. but the same old comments *soapbox warning*

Go down

We have new music.. but the same old comments *soapbox warning* Empty We have new music.. but the same old comments *soapbox warning*

Post  Dinahkin Fri 01 Feb 2019, 6:43 pm

It's release day for "Melancholic Paradise" the single.. and we get a lyric video Smile 

I am really enjoying the track, its a bop, definitely dance-able, reminiscent of the 80's music that I am old enough to remember.. but still obviously Tokio Hotel in my opinion. 

Bills vocals are clear, and the music, the beat, the brass are making sounds I am longing to hear live. I'm starting to recognise Toms production style even more on this.. smooth.

What grieves me though are the comments under the video. Comments that were under all the Dream Machine videos, comments that were under all the Kings of Suburbia videos and probably under the Humanoid City ones too if I cared to check back that far. 

Comments such as ..

"I miss the Tokio Hotel of 2010"

or

"let's get back to the 2008, pls. "

or the all time classics

"Where is Gustav and Geo?? Why don't they appear in the video? It's very unfair, also a part of the band. I'm sad for this."

"but where are georg and gustav?"

"I miss the old sound of Tokio Hotel... Where is Gustav and Georg?"

"This is not Tokio Hotel! "

Talk about groundhog day..

Alrighty then.. lets unpick this a minute shall we?

First and foremost, in I forget how many interviews, both Georg and Gustav have clearly said that they are more than happy for Bill and Tom to be the "face" of Tokio Hotel. They've both said that they have no problem with not being in videos and honestly, can you really see them pulling pouty faces about being "left out"?

We know they contribute musically, because we've seen videos and heard them say so in interviews, so to suggest that its not a Tokio Hotel single is frankly ridiculous and probably they'd find that insulting.

As for "This is not Tokio Hotel" of course it is.. Tokio Hotel are making the music, ergo its Tokio Hotel.

Just because it's a more electronic style than some want to admit to liking, that is something that is not a Tokio Hotel problem, it sits squarely between the ears of the person making the comment. Genres of music overlap, I can hear the rock beat of Tokio Hotel in this, just as I can in tracks from Dream Machine, or Kings of Suburbia or Scream.

Maybe its because I grew up in the late 70's/80's and my ear is tuned into a similar style, or maybe its because my musical taste doesn't exclude music on grounds that a bands music is "different" than perhaps I first enjoyed.
Whatever the reason, I really love this track.

Self proclaimed 'fans' whose first reaction to their apparent "favourite bands" new music is to be judgemental about it not being in the style they prefer, maybe need to consider what they want to listen to.

Bands evolve, musical artists evolve, they explore new styles, new appearances. Think of David Bowie for example, how different is The Jean Genie from Dancing in the Street or China Girl? How different is Ziggy Stardust from the White Duke.. they are all Bowie.

Bands or artists that don't evolve, stagnate.. they become set in their ways and the only fans that go to see them do so for nostalgia reasons, not to hear their new music. Or they disappear without trace.

Tokio Hotel are gaining recognition, not just amongst their core "die hard" fans, but from people who are being newly exposed to their music, and that matters. It matters because Tokio Hotel isn't just a band that teenie girls fell in love with because the guys looked good and then found that the music was awesome too. Tokio Hotel is a band that is made from four men, all of whom are talented musicians individually, who want to develop their craft. As fans, we just happen to be along for the ride.

I have a view that fans who whine about "where are the G's" or "this isn't Monsoon" should perhaps take a long look at themselves and ask why they want their favourite band to stagnate.. is it because they themselves are afraid of growing or of new experiences?
Or are they writing those comments because "hating" on Tokio Hotel is easier than coming to terms with their own ageing process or even their own lack of maturity?
Or if it's because they don't enjoy the evolving music style, there are other bands aimed at a juvenile music palate for them to enjoy or other genres that they might find more to their liking.
But I have a sneaky suspicion that the fans who whine might also be the ones with the sharp elbows that can often be found in the front rows at Tokio Hotel concerts... or first in line for the M&G.

The band have said that their current style is what they are comfortable with. They feel it reflects them, that its where they are musically, and that is all that it needs to make it Tokio Hotel music. It's performed by Tokio Hotel.

As someone older coming across the Tokio Hotel fandom just before Humanoid was released, it seems to me that there has always been a sense of entitlement or ownership of Tokio Hotel from certain elements of the fandom. Maybe its feeling that sense of "ownership" eroded by time that makes some fans so defensive, who knows, each will have their individual opinions.

But please don't allow your judgemental comments to take away from the fact that this is an ear worm of a track, its going to be amazing played live and I for one, can't wait! Smile

As for the video itself, once I'd got used to the rolling highlighted text and was able to follow the words properly, I really enjoyed reading the lyrics. They tell a story, as most Tokio Hotel lyrics do. The backing film has a feel of "everything has to go on instagram" which I think is clever.

(I will be honest and say that the backing film ticked a few of the boxes on my personal wish list, but hey, I'm human Wink and I'm a Tokio Hotel non screaming fangirl.. connecting with other humans is practically an instruction Smile )

So.. my verdict is that the new track is a bop, it's stuck in my head and I think the lyrics are great and its going to be amazing to watch live so I am hoping its on the setlist. 

The other thing I can't wait for is the rest of the album.. more please guys! Smile
Dinahkin
Dinahkin
Admin

https://thvip.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down